When we went to Europe in 2010 I was so looking forward to the Nice leg of our trip! I had all these amazing plans where we were going small town hopping every day of our 4 full days there, even adding Monaco to our list of countries… But none of that happened.
To be fair, on the second day we hopped on a train to Cannes, only to sit by the beach and do absolutely nothing for the half day we spent there. Then we went back to our hotel in Nice and spent the other half of the day by the pool, doing – you guessed it – absolutely nothing!
Don’t get me wrong, after 10 days sightseeing between Paris, Prague and Zurich, just relaxing by the beach or the pool is all we needed. I wouldn’t change those 4 relaxing days but… now I want to go back and explore! I want to visit the wonderful perched town of Èze and take those wonderful views in; go to Monaco and have an over priced coffee or cold drink and take a glamour picture; take a long walk from Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat to Villefranche-sur-Mer; and so much more!
But in order to do that properly I should have planned it differently. I should have planned the trip, the whole 2 weeks, around the Côte d’Azur and Provence, which would allow me to visit a lavender field along with some of the small villages that were the models to some of Van Gogh’s work. Now I know and with that I came up with a new itinerary, which is work in progress and will not happen anytime soon, but hopefully it will inspire people to explore this wonderful part of France :
From Nice to Avignon in 10 days
Day 1: Nice
Day 2: Monaco and Èze
Day 3: Sospel
Day 4: Nice
Day 5: Vence and Mougins
Day 6: Lac de Sainte-Croix and Gorges du Verdon
Day 7: Moustiers-Sainte-Marie, Riez and Apt
Day 8: Abbaye de Sénanque and Saint-Rémy-de-Provence
Day 9: Arles and Pont du Gard
Day 10: Avignon
Even though it looks like this itinerary is rushing through places, think that if you were to take a train or drive straight from Nice to Avignon it would take you 2 and a half hours and you would miss the wonderful scenery. One thing I am already thinking is to add a day or two to the Lac de Sainte-Croix and Gorges du Verdon to just relax by the lake.
I will not write anything to describe these places. Just follow the links posted below and see the pictures – these places are amazing!
Links for more info:
* Nice: http://www.nicetourisme.com
* Monaco: http://www.visitmonaco.com
* Èze: http://eze-tourisme.com/en/
* Sospel: http://www.sospel-tourisme.com
* Mougins: http://www.mougins.fr/tourisme/en/
* Lac de Sainte-Croix: http://www.moustiers.eu/?Lac-de-Sainte-Croix&lang=en
* Gorges du Verdon: http://www.moustiers.eu/?lang=fr
* Moustiers-Sainte-Marie: http://www.moustiers.eu/?lang=fr
* Abbaye de Sénanque: http://www.abbayedesenanque.com
* Saint-Rémy-de-Provence: http://www.saintremy-de-provence.com/home.html
* Arles: http://www.arlestourisme.com
* Pont du Gard: http://www.ot-pontdugard.com
* Avignon: http://www.ot-avignon.fr